Sunday, October 3, 2010

Why Chickens are Awesome

Last Wednesday I went to the Geumsan "Hanaro Mart," and bought a whole chicken. The chicken wasn't very big, but at around 6000 a head I thought the thing expensive. No matter.

I brought the thing home an threw it in my "Dong Yang Magic," oven - setting number 17. I threw some salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme on the outside. 45 minutes later I had a beautifully cooked chicken.

These days the wife isn't eating meat. I think the baby inside of her is some kind of vegetarian or something. Anyway, we had that with some salad and some garlic cheese mashed potatoes.

After dinner I threw the carcass into a pot and boiled the thing for a while. I went to Kumdo, while the wife made Jook.
I'm no photographer, and i realize that this picture looks a bit like vomit, but it tastes really good. This was the third night of eating jook.

To make chicken jook all you need to do is cook rice and vegetables in chicken broth. Season with Joseon Gan Jjang (The stuff mothers in law make) wait until it gets squishy and then eat.

Anyway from Wednesday until Sunday 4 meals involved the chicken that I threw in the old "Dong Yang Magic." (Actually 5 I had a chicken sandwich for lunch one day.) That's how chicken can be awesome.

Tonight I had some Jook with a glass of Kiwi wine. It was good. I don't know if the things "matched," or not, but the Jook tasted goo, and the wine tasted good, and that's good enough for me.

2 comments:

Flint said...

I had one of those ovens! It was great.

I am going to have to make some home made chicken soup thanks to you. Thanks for giving me the impetus. :)

3gyupsal said...

Every fall, I get the baking bug. Just this weekend I made a chicken and a cake. The Dong Yang Magic is fantastic.